Sunday, June 7, 2009

The First Entry of My Real Blog

To me, blogging is just like journaling with the exception of extremely personal thoughts. I only hope that I'll be able to keep up on this as I am TERRIBLE at journaling. I want to be faithful in it, but I seem to constantly fall short. But I did want to start a blog so I could share stories from the adventures God is taking me on.
For those of you who don't know, this summer, I am interning at Bridgetown Ministries in Portland, OR. So far, I have been a part of one official event called Soles for Souls. Bridgetown worked with the ShoeMill, Adidas, and other shoe companies to distribute around 5,000 free pairs of shoes to the homeless and others who needed them. It was an awesome event, but it blew me away. As the rain fell, we talked to people about their lives, their day, and their shoe size. Everyone was different, but what I enjoyed most was seeing people's faces light up as I opened a shoe box to reveal the answer to a real need, and talking to them about the different shoes they would need for their day-to-day lives. One woman told my friend, Liz, and I that she needed sturdy shoes that wouldn't let water in, as she lived under one of the several bridges in Portland (hence the name Bridgetown).
One thing that frustrated me about the event was the lack of boots. I wouldn't have given it a second thought, except for the fact that almost every other person asked for them. And we barely had any.
Already I am learning that there is very little I know about the world. But I am constantly learning, growing, and gaining a wider perspective of the Body and the universe and people that Jesus Christ is reconciling to Himself. It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfTxUPVDF4M&feature=PlayList&p=4F0F85FFDC630602&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

No comments:

Post a Comment